As music moms, the last thing we need is extra work. We’ve already got our hands full. Sometimes, though, we inadvertently burden ourselves with more to do by refusing to be as efficient as possible. In short, we end up working harder, rather than working smarter.
The good news? Figuring out how to work smarter can be done. It just takes some practice. So if you want to save energy, increase your overall productivity, increase your motivation, and build up your self-esteem (and who doesn’t?), here are 5 tried and true ways to get the most out of your work with even less effort.
1. Work on one task at a time. Multi-tasking is simply overrated. Moving from one task to another actually causes you to waste time, as it takes your brain way too much time to switch tasks and refocus. Resist your overwhelming urge to multi-task.
2. Establish a manageable morning routine. By starting your morning the same way each day, you’ll gain the proper mindset for a positive and productive day. Whether it’s going for a jog to get your blood flowing or diving into a chapter of your favorite book to wake up your brain, there are benefits to kicking off each day the same way.
3. Shorten your to-do list as much as you can. Shorten your to-do list and allow yourself to focus on no more than five big tasks each day. These should be your most important tasks, and they should make you feel productive once you complete them.
4. Block off your calendar when you need to focus solely on work. Doing this will give you the time you need to complete all your work. It will also ensure that your day is free of unexpected distractions.
5. Measure your results – not the amount of time you’re working on them. Track everything you accomplish during each day. Being able to see specific things you’ve done during the day will help you feel a sense of accomplishment.