This Wednesday, August 11 is National Son and Daughter Day. To celebrate, I thought it’d be nice to share with you specific phrases you can say that’ll show your son or daughter just how much you appreciate them.
The best part? Kids who are appreciated are extremely likely to repeat their behaviors. Not only that, but if they receive these kind words, they’re more likely to show appreciation towards others.
Here are some phrases my friends and I have said to our kids. Feel free to make them your own so they’re relevant to your son or daughter.
1. I love how enthusiastically you greet your Dad when he gets home from work. It makes him feel special.
2. Thanks for giving me a kiss before I leave for work each morning.
3. I appreciate you doing all your chores without me having to ask you.
4. Thanks for listening to me when I’m talking to you.
5. You made your brother’s day by playing with him when your friends were here.
6. Thanks for remembering that I love the color red.
7. I enjoy baking cookies with you. We make a great team.
8. I noticed how careful you were while emptying the dishwasher. Thanks!
9. Thanks for waiting for dinner to eat. Snacks fill you up, so you made a wise decision.
10. Thanks for putting the caps back on all the markers.
11. I love taking walks with you.
12. I enjoy watching movies with you. Thank you for choosing something we both enjoy.
13. You have such a kind heart. Thanks for drawing me that picture for Mother’s Day.
14. Thanks for taking off your muddy boots before you walked on our new rug. It shows that you respect our home.
15. You look great! Thank for choosing your clothes and getting dressed.
16. Thanks for putting all those flowers in a vase. They look beautiful on the kitchen table.
17. Thanks for being quiet and reading to yourself this morning while the rest of us were still sleeping.
18. Thanks for being so gentle when we were working in the garden this morning.
19. I love it when you rub my hair when I have a headache. It’s sooo sweet – and you help make me feel better.
20. I appreciate how carefully you cared for your little brother while I was making dinner.
21. It meant a lot to me to see you teaching your brother how to skateboard. He’s lucky to have you.
22. Thank you for listening to me.
23. I appreciate how much you enjoy writing songs. You are definitely a talented kid.
24. I love how curious you are.
25. Your jokes are so funny. Thanks for sharing them with me.