This year marks the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s untimely death. While an assassin’s bullet succeeded in tragically ending MLK’s life, there’s nothing on this planet that could ever erase the visionary’s timeless words and relevance to American society. His stirring words and writings inspire us today as much as they did during the 1950s and ’60s.
With tomorrow being Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, I think it is a perfect time to reflect upon 10 of MLK’s most poignant quotes. His words represent extraordinary levels of purpose, compassion, and selflessness. I hope and pray that they motivate us all to do what we can to make this world a better place.
1. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
2. “Forgiveness is not an occasional act. It is a permanent attitude.”
3. “Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle.”
4. “Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.”
5. “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.”
6. “There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”
7. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
8. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’”
9. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
10. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”