Okay. Let’s be honest. It’s right before New Years Eve, and you are currently dreaming up the most fantastical resolutions for 2018. But while losing 1/5 of your body weight sounds like a great idea, is it really something you will achieve? The truth is that resolutions like that are typically gone and forgotten by March.
The good news is that you don’t have to come up with resolutions you can’t keep. I have had much more success creating smaller goals that lead to bigger results. Here are 25 suggestions that I hope you’ll consider as you prepare for an amazing 2018.
Happy new year!
1. Make iPads and other electronic devices the exception, not the norm, for nighttime family entertainment.
2. Make a meal for any friend or family member who is sick.
3. Give away the stuff you don’t need.
4. Demonstrate to your kids what it means to show gratitude.
5. Learn a new instrument (or practice an old one).
6. Act like more of a team player.
7. Live a more minimal life that allows you to simplify things.
8. Stay in the moment – wherever and whenever it is.
9. Post mostly unfiltered and realistic images on your social media.
10. Eat out less and cook from scratch more.
11. Run or walk a few miles each week.
12. Plan to interact with your family on a more regular basis.
13. Spend one-on-one time with close friends each week.
14. Instead of texting, talk to people on the phone more often.
15. Plan at least one weekend day-trip each month.
16. Take your significant other on a date night at least once per week.
17. Make your own coffee at home.
18. Listen more and talk less.
19. Sit in silence for five minutes every day.
20. Drink tea instead of coffee.
21. Drink less soda and sugary beverages.
22. Determine to plan ahead by buying birthday presents well in advance.
23. Assign your kids reasonable chores – and then make sure they actually do them.
24. Find a genre of literature that you like and consistently read for pleasure.
25. Try doing something new each and every week.